The Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Commission (RTC) will hold a public hearing to solicit community input on transportation projects proposed for approximately $5 million in local shares of state and federal transportation funding. The hearing is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, February 7, 2013 at the County Board of Supervisors Chambers, 701 Ocean Street, Santa Cruz. The hearing will be preceded by a staff presentation.
Funding requests were received for 19 projects totaling over $8 million, exceeding the available funding by $3 million. Projects recommended to receive funds include:
- Roadway repairs and rehabilitation on Scotts Valley Drive (Scotts Valley), Freedom Blvd (Watsonville), Laurel Street (Santa Cruz), 17th Ave/East Cliff Dr (Live Oak), Empire Grade (County), Green Valley Road (Freedom), Mt. Hermon Road (Felton), Porter Street (Soquel)
- Aptos Village transportation modifications
- Bicycle/pedestrian bridge over Branciforte Creek at San Lorenzo River path (Santa Cruz)
- Soquel Dr/Frederick St intersection modifications (Santa Cruz)
- Freeway Service Patrol tow truck service on Highway 1
- Rideshare program for carpooling, vanpooling, transit, bicycle, walking
- Folding bicycles for bus riders
- Open Streets community events
- Boltage bike/walk to school program
Projects approved for funds by the RTC will be included in the Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Improvement Program (RTIP). Additional information on the projects under consideration and staff recommendations are available for review at the Regional Transportation Commission’s website: www.sccrtc.org/funding-planning/project-funding/ or during business hours at the Commission’s office at 1523 Pacific Avenue, Santa Cruz.