For those who have served in the U.S. military, especially those who served and sacrificed in Operation Enduring Freedom, last week’s takeover of Afghanistan by the Taliban and the scramble to evacuate American citizens and Afghan partners may bring about many emotions.
- Veterans Crisis Line — If you are having thoughts of suicide, call 1-800-273-8255, then PRESS 1 or visit www.veteranscrisisline.net/
- For emergency mental health care, you can go to your local VA medical center 24/7 regardless of your discharge status or enrollment in other VA health care.
- Vet Centers — Discuss how you feel with other Veterans in these community-based counseling centers. 70% of Vet Center staff are Veterans. Call 1-877-927-8387 or find one near you.
- VA Mental Health Services Guide — This guide will help you sign up and access mental health services.
- MakeTheConnection.net — information, resources, and Veteran to Veteran videos for challenging life events and experiences with mental health issues.
- RallyPoint — Talk to other Veterans online. Discuss: What are your feelings as the Taliban reclaim Afghanistan after 20 years of US involvement?
- Download VA’s self-help apps — Tools to help deal with common reactions like, stress, sadness, and anxiety. You can also track your symptoms over time.
- Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) — Request a Peer Mentor
- VA Women Veterans Call Center — Call or text 1-855-829-6636 (M-F 8AM – 10PM & SAT 8AM – 6:30PM ET)
- VA Caregiver Support Line — Call 1-855-260-3274 (M-F 8AM – 10PM & SAT 8AM – 5PM ET)
- Together We Served — Find your battle buddies through unit pages
- George W. Bush Institute — Need help or want to talk? Check In or call:1-630-522-4904 or email: [email protected]
- Elizabeth Dole Foundation Hidden Heroes — Join the Community
- American Red Cross Military Veteran Caregiver Network — Peer Support and Mentoring
- Team Red, White & Blue — Hundreds of events weekly. Find a chapter in your area.
- Student Veterans of America — Find a campus chapter to connect with.
- Team Rubicon — Find a local support squad.
For more information, see: https://tinyurl.com/afghanistan-lets-talk